Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Secret of Jack Vettriano art appeal

I looked on the internet for explanation of Jack Vettriano phenomena and did not find one. I spent some time thinking about his art and why it is interesting to me. I do not have his paintings at home and do not intend to have them – not my style of décor. However I find his painting very relaxing to look at in the book. I like many kinds of artists from old to contemporary and Vettriano is one of them.

His art reminds me of Film Noir movie stills. But besides that I admire the fact that he stages his compositions. It is not new but it is refreshing to see the same faces in many painting. It is almost like reading a comics. The staging for paintings is not revolutionary but it is entertaining.

It has been noted that he uses the similar palette as Edward Hopper did. Researches of Film Noir style often refer to Hopper as a processor of Noir style. Jack Vettriano painted the pictures that should have been painted in 1930-1950s but were not. I am fan of moving staged on material of roaring 20s and gangster-era 30s. Plenty of movies are available to watch but one can’t find paintings that would be painted on that material in a way we like to look at it now. Jack Vettriano did it.

Some critics say that Jack Vettriano’s art is out place in today’s word which seems to be a lie considering popularity of his art. Why is it ok to create a movie based on such historic material and not fine art?

No comments: