Thursday, September 9, 2010

On burning Quran, Freedom from religion foundation and my fasting

This week I was fasting. I go for 3 days or more without food. I drink warm water with sugar and lemon. Sometimes I drink juice. The reason I do that is I like the idea of cleaning my body and getting back what’s called ‘beginners mind’. I do not paint and draw. Meantime I do not change my lifestyle other than I take extra time to meditate. My energy level increases. I need very little sleep while I am fasting (4-5 hours at most). The main purpose of this exercise is to break a pattern I live in. At the time when I feel that I am losing my sense of presence in the world I go no fasting. I do not like living on the autopilot. Every time I fast - I feel reborn. If your life is busy, every time you feel that you do not have time it is probably because you want too much TO DO and you have very little time TO BE. You may be running away from yourself or you may have been programmed by others. Hype, Fear and Guilt run your life.


What does it have to do with burning Quran, Freedom from religion foundation? Today is a last day of Ramadan (Islamic fasting). For one month believers do not eat during day and only eat at night (before or after the Sun is gone from the sky). I do not find it to be of any health value but I think it does a good job of breaking the everyday pattern of life. The fact that some minister in Florida wants to publicly burn Quran now I find disturbing if not to say more. Christian hate is just as big (if not bigger) than Christian love. And Christian arrogance is even bigger. What makes this minister to think that he or his followers are better that other? The fact they think that they are better is not a problem. It is public display of it and desire to impose a chosen point of view on others that makes it arrogant.

On the same day I read about Freedom from Religion Foundation buying billboards around Atlanta suggesting rethinking of the religion. I do not think I will make any change but it is nice to know that some people try to confront a majority of religious psychotics. Moderately and mildly religious people will not pay much attention to it. They go to church to the sake of community and rarely get involved into such debates.

What does it have to do with art? Art is about breaking a pattern. Things we see or things that surround us make a difference. If you want to change your life you do not always have to move. You can make changes to your daily life and surrounding. Religion not only makes people to follow a predefined pass it takes advantage of the disposable time that one can spend on meditation or contemplation. In fact by supporting sports and social activities it is like shipping filler. It fills the space and time. It does not allow any re-evaluation and re-examination. Art is a one form of communication that can be absorbed in a moment and may continue its impact for a long time.

No comments: