Thursday, September 30, 2010

Artist Charitable donations by Vas Paris

What is that charities always invite artists to donate their work? Why they do not invite doctors to donate free operations, or lawyers to donate free divorce process, or a car dealer to donate a free car? Is it because artists are suckers that are blindly looking for any way to the fame? Is it because charities want to be associated with the glamour? Is it because they think that producing an art work is easier that performing a brain operation and it does not requier a skill? Is it because artist need money any less than doctors or lawyers? Or because they do not have families?

Let’s get it straight. Charities never catapulted any artist to the fame. They were used as a publicity vehicle but with dubious track record. On many occasions they are no more than a conartist game to rip off the parents of the students via school fundraising where a small portion is donated to a school and a lion portion is taken as a profit. The art that is sold in suck fundrisings has no value other than the cost of the material.

Why any artist would want to participate in an auction like that? It beats me.

Here is my simple rule of participating and auction. I want to be paid 50% of the proceeds of the action for the item that I donated. I may choose to donate this portion but I may not. If I choose to donate it I want a clear paper record. No ifs or buts

No comments: